Monday, December 04, 2006

Grunge Lives On

After watching “Live! Tonight! Sold Out!” I got grunge fever again. I went out and rented the 1996 documentary “Hype!” about the Seattle music scene turning into a corporate marketing commodity. While it gives some insight on Seattle life before grunge broke, the story was mostly about, and told by, bands that never really took off. Fortunately, there was some commentary by bigger names like Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, Eddie Vedder, Mudhoney and the Sub Pop twins. It was interesting enough for big fans of the genre, but not a must-see for casual Nirvana or Pearl Jam fans.

The next grunge video I am going to re-watch is “The Year Punk Broke” if I can get my hands on it. Through all of this grunge nostalgia I keep asking myself, “When are we going to see an Alice in Chains documentary?" I’d even settle for a VH1 Behind the Music.

No comments: